Reading with Pictures – The Graphic Textbook
Well, it’s official. Gabe and I will be teaming up on yet another Albert the Alien project. This one appearing in the Reading with Pictures Graphic Textbook!
Reading with Pictures volume 1 was the first appearance of Albert, and my first collaboration with Gabe. We had a lot of fun working on the project, and got a lot of media reviews and press for the effort. The book was nominated for two Harvey Awards, and has sold through thousands of copies.
Now, Reading with Pictures is doing what it set out to do when it first formed 2 years ago and finally combining comic stories with educational content. And the next Albert story will be no different.
Albert the Alien in “It’s a Figure of Speech” is the story we pitched, and we beat out award-winning comic creators and national best selling creators to get into the book. Here’s the pitch:
“Hijinks ensue when Albert, an alien exchange student going to school on earth, interprets figures of speech all too literally…”
It’s going to be a fun story, and we’ll be launching the kick starter campaign in April. Be on the look out for more details as they come. Below is the press release.
The Graphic Textbook brings together some of the finest creative talents – including Fred Van Lente, Ryan Dunlavey, Janet Lee and Roger Langridge – in the comic industry with the leading experts in visual literacy and comic-based curriculum – including Dr. Katie Monnin and Dr. James Bucky Carter – to create a gamechanging educational tool for the classroom and beyond.
Aimed at grades 3-6, The Graphic Textbook features short stories that address topics drawn from the list of Common Core Standards. The accompanying Teacher’s Edition will include Standards-correlated lesson plans customized to each story, research-based justifications for using comics in the classroom, a guide to establishing best classroom practices and a comprehensive listing of additional educational resources, both in print and online.
The Graphic Textbook will be financed entirely through a Kickstarter campaign set to launch in April. The book itself is set for a spring 2013 release in both print and digital formats.
We hope that we can count on your support in April and beyond as we strive to revolutionize the role of comics in the classroom.
- “George Washington: Action President” by Fred Van Lente and Ryan Dunlavey
- “Crogan’s Revolution” by Chris Schweizer
- “Field Trip” by Russell Lissau and Marvin Mann
- “Finding Ivy” by Michael Bramley and Alice Meichi Li
- “Probamon!” by Geoffrey Golden and Nate Pride
- Creator to Be Announced
- “Special Delivery to Shangri-La” by Mike Lee and Janet Lee
- “Albert the Alien in ‘It’s a Figure of Speech!’” by Trevor Mueller and Gabriel Bautista
- “The Power of Print” by Katie Cook
- “Doctor Sputnik: Man of Science” by Roger Langridge
- “Like Galileo…” by James Peaty and Tintin Pantoja
- “Mail Order Ninja in Showdown with the Sea Apes!” by Josh Elder and Dean Trippe
Dr. David Rapp
Dr. Katie Monnin
Dr. James Bucky Carter
Tracy Edmunds, MA
Jennifer Kim, MA Ed.
Josh Elder, editor-in-chief
Brandon Montclare, editor
Paul Morrissey, editor